The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Why does my nose bleed so much?

TDM - Mon May 21, 2007 4:02 pm

My nose bleeds very often. Sometimes it bleeds after I blow my nose very hard. Sometimes it bleeds after I press either side of my nose with the tip of my fingers. Sometimes it bleeds after I pick my nose. And sometimes it bleeds for reasons that I can't explain. The other day I was sitting in front of my computer reading something and my nose suddenly started bleeding. It's also happened more than once that I wake up in the middle of the night with my nose bleeding.

Can someone explain me why my nose has such a high propensity for bleeding? Is this normal?

I am guy in my mid twenties and have had this problem for as long as I can remember.
Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 24, 2007 2:33 am

Generally, excessive nose bleeding is due to inhalation of dry air leading to drying of the nasal mucosa. This causes the mucosa to be very brittle and bleed easily. There are several nasal moisturizers available over-the-counter that range from saline nasal sprays to gels. All are fairly effective.

Another, less likely possibility is a condition called Von Willebrand's syndrome. This condition causes the platelets to not be able to work as well due to a deficiency of Von Willebrand's factor. Generally, this condition presents with frequent mucosal bleeding such as nosebleeds. It is one of the most common bleeding disorders so it may be worthwhile to check for. It can be tested for with a blood test.