Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: I've lost my voice!

arenjohnson - Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:59 pm

When I woke up this past Monday morning (about 7 a. m.), my throat was a little sore. The soreness went away by lunch time, but so did my voice. It is now Thursday. When I get up in the mornings, my voice is fine, but after talking at work for a few hours, it once again becomes a whisper. I have absolutely no other symptoms. My throat is no longer sore. My head nor chest are congested. Any ideas?
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:34 am

It looks like you developed laryngitis (inflammation of the 'voice box'). It will take some time to heal. Probably a bit longer than your throat infection (pharyngitis). Try not to exhaust your vocal cords while in the healing period.

Regards,

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us