The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: throat mass

jlmkahn - Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:36 am

Occasionally, (about every 2-3 weeks) I develop what appears to be a mass of dead cells in the back of my throat. I am able to Cough the mass up, and notice that it has a very bad odor. What is this caused from, and is it anything to be concerned about? Thanks so much.
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:51 am

You could be experiencing a post-nasal drip which is also a good medium for the growth of anaerobic bacteriae. These bacteriae lead to the production of bad odour. It could also be many other things some more serious than others. I think you should get it checked out just in case. If its nothing serious you would get an Antibiotic prescription.