Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: throat mass

jlmkahn - Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:36 am

Occasionally, (about every 2-3 weeks) I develop what appears to be a mass of dead cells in the back of my throat. I am able to Cough the mass up, and notice that it has a very bad odor. What is this caused from, and is it anything to be concerned about? Thanks so much.
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:51 am

You could be experiencing a post-nasal drip which is also a good medium for the growth of anaerobic bacteriae. These bacteriae lead to the production of bad odour. It could also be many other things some more serious than others. I think you should get it checked out just in case. If its nothing serious you would get an Antibiotic prescription.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us