Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: effect of repeated ear barotrauma??

carlylouise - Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:08 pm

Hi there. I work as a host/elevator operator in one of the world's tallest buildings. As such, I am going up and down in our high-speed elevators frequently (minimum 10 round trips a day), so my ears are popping at least once each way. I am curious if there is the possibility of damage to my ears from this repeated barotrauma. On occasion my ears will ache slightly (even when not in the elevator).
Does anyone know if this continuous ear popping will have adverse effects, and if so, is there any evidence you could direct me to ?(perhaps to prove it to my employers).
THANKS
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:56 am

Dear Carlylouise,

I think that this ear popping is equalization of pressure around the ear drum and personally I would not call it ear barotrauma.

Ear barotrauma refers to tear in the ear drum. Symptoms include ear pain, may be some bleeding and decrease in hearing acuity.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.