Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: inherited fovea dystrophies

nasa2em80 - Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:22 am

hi
Cousin husband and wife have 3 sons and 2 daughter, the father has inherited fovea(lutea) disorder diagnosed at his young age, now his 18 years old is effected in the same disorder diagnosed when he was a child.
my question if the old daughter (17) is married is it effect to the next generation ?thanks for helping
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:12 pm

Dear Nasa2em,

Macular dystrophies are disease that affect the macula of the retina. The retina degenerates naturally starting at a certain age. In these disorders, the macula degenerates prematurely with loss of central vision. So far, a cure has not been developed. There are many diseases belonging to this category, since I am not an ophthalmologist, I am not familiar with them, so I will not be discussing any of them.

The person that you are referring to should be seen by an opthalmologist to see which type of degeneration he has and his daughter as well should be seen to see whether she has any signs of early degeneration and to have appropriate genetic counselling and to have a prognostic evaluation for her vision.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.