Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Swelling in the nasal area

meroney - Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:09 am


I have a what looks like a swelling mucel of some sort in my right nasal, it looks realy big, what is this?
alisonm - Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:11 am

Sometimes allergies will cause swelling in the upper bridge of the nose, do you think this could be the case?
Kirsty_Oz - Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:15 pm

does it cause pain? have you notice a reduction in your ability to smell? does it slightly fluctuate in size? do you sneeze more often?

if you answered yes to all but the first one it sounds what I have.... its not dangerous but if it gets obstructive it can be removed- however it does grow back. I have been told that a contributing factor is where I live....
(melbourne, australia)
meroney - Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:42 pm

well I didnt notice it till last night, but my allergies have been crazy since im 5 months pregnant and cannot take my medicine.

I have been sneezing like crazy and stuffy all night and the dryness makes my nose bleed everyday and that is why I was looking up my nose last night

was to see how irritated it looked when I noticed on the right side what looked like a swollen mucel chunk in my view

it doesnt look normal
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:47 am

Dear Meroney,

Nasal congestion and stuffiness are very common with pregnancy. If you are not experiencing any nasal blockages or difficulty breathing, I would recommend that you call your doctor now and let him/her know about it and see whether he/she would like to see you now or wait till next visit to take a look at it, but your doctor has to be notified about this and the daily bleeding.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.
meroney - Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:30 pm

I Just wanted to say Thanks, THis is Great! I feel much better since I've been here, I have a Doctor appointment the 30th to find the gender of my baby, and I will talk to my doctor then. :D

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us