Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: lost voice

moomom - Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:16 am

I took a hour nap today and when I woke up my voice was gone. very crackly, hoarse sounding, and ough. I feel fine otherwise, no Fever, pain etc. and I have not been yelling. my throat does not hurt. any ideas?
Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:43 am

Hello:
Sometimes when people sleep they mouth breathe and that causes the oral membranes to dry out which can account for a dry hoarse voice for a while, but it should subside within a few hours. Also it is possible you were developing a cold and didnt feel the symptoms until you woke up. However, if the symptoms continue more than a few days then I would advise seeing and ENT doctor.
Regards,
Carolyn

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us