The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: lost voice

moomom - Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:16 am

I took a hour nap today and when I woke up my voice was gone. very crackly, hoarse sounding, and ough. I feel fine otherwise, no Fever, pain etc. and I have not been yelling. my throat does not hurt. any ideas?
Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:43 am

Hello:
Sometimes when people sleep they mouth breathe and that causes the oral membranes to dry out which can account for a dry hoarse voice for a while, but it should subside within a few hours. Also it is possible you were developing a cold and didnt feel the symptoms until you woke up. However, if the symptoms continue more than a few days then I would advise seeing and ENT doctor.
Regards,
Carolyn