The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Ear Infection

GT - Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:40 pm

I've had a horrible ear infection for the last few days accompanied by sharp pain, trouble chewing, swelling and a brief Fever. I went to a doctor and he diagnosed it as ottis externa and prescribed Ciprodex which I've been taking for 52 hours. There is a massive amount of wax in my ear which he did not remove, and which is not coming out. I'm in a lot of pain, (he also prescribed Vicodin, which I've been taking).
I do not have insurance and have used all my resources with this visit and subsiquent medication.
What can I do to help my ear to heal? Is there anyway I can remove the wax from my ear safely?
Thanks,
GT
Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:17 pm

Dear GT:
Sorry to hear about your infection. :( I know how badly an ear infection can hurt. As far as the impacted wax in your ear, you need to have the physician or his nurse remove. Attempts to remove the wax yourself, as in using a q-tip or in trying to flush the wax out with water, can cause severe damage to the ear drum and force the infection further back into the ear canal which would be much worse. About the only thing you could try yourself would be to use a warm pack on the affected side. Lay down with a warm pack under your head so that if any wax melts gravity will allow it to flow out. If this does not help then you need to see the doctor. Above all do not put anything into your ears to try to remove the wax. Use of q-tips or foreign objects to clean out ears are the major cause of ear infections.
CmMerritt

tapeacock77 - Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:32 am

I too had ear infections on many occasions. it is a pain. I stopped using ear buds and have been for over a month now.

My doctor prescribed me 2 lots of antibotics and the problem is still there. So when I went to the doctors last week he said I still have ear infection and was going to prescribe me another lot of antibotics, but I refused. As I have had pain in my jaw and temple which hurt when I chew. I went to the hospital to get it checked, the doctor said I didnt have ear infection and that I have Arthritis - Temperamendibale Arthritis - I don't know if I have spelt it right!. So prescribed me voltarol tablets to kill the pain. I will have to go back on thursday if it is still ongoing to get refer to a specialist. I don't think I have Arthritis I know it is my ear. This morning when I was eating I could ear bubbles in my ear! Anybody out there got the same problem as me please reply cheers