Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Ear Piercinb

blonde1 - Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:22 pm

I got my ears pierced a week and 2 days ago. I have never had my ears pierced before. My left ear lobe is sensitive but not as bad as my right. My right ear lobe is slightly swollen and is tender. Is this normal, if not what do I do? And if this is normal, how long will it last?

Thanks!
Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:02 pm

Hello:
Did you have the ear pierced by a professional or was it done by a friend or at home? Were hypoallergenic posts used?
Are you wearing a post in the affected ear or a wire? It is very easy for infection to develop in newly pierced ears because the area is closed tightly against a post earring allowing no air to reach the area so bacteria has a warm moist area to thrive in. Keeping the area clean is mandatory. Use Hydrogen Peroxide often to clean the ear lobe and dry throughly. You might try using a hypoallergenic wire earring instead of a post and turning the wire several times a day to prevent it from sticking to the skin. If you see any pus like material coming from the opening you will need to go to the doctor for an Antibiotic.
Regards,
Carolyn

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us