The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: corneal ulser

L8lisa - Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:10 am

I was diagnosed yesterday with a bacterial corneal ulser. My eye doctor had me using Vigamox 0. 5% every 30 minutes. Today I am still using this every 30 minutes and he also gave me Pred Forte 1% to use 4x per day to reduce the pressure and Alphagan P 0. 15% 2x's per day. He did not do a culture to see what kind of bacteria it was and I am wondering if the Vigamox will kill all bacteria including Pseudomonas? I could not even see a chart on the wall let alone a BIG E. On this computer screen I can only see colors (blue and white) no writing with the eye with the ulser. Yesterday the pressure in that eye was 13 and today it was 26. What is the significance of that? I am worried I'll never see again with this eye. Is this a good form of treatment ? What are Pseudomonasbacterias??? I read (with my good eye) that they can cause severe damage and even blindness within 24-48 hours if not treated. Thank you.
Lisa Hastings
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:13 am

Hello Lisa,
I am sorry to hear about your corneal ulcers. They can be very dangerous. Vigamox is a strong occular Antibiotic. They work against one strain of pseudomonas bacteria. In the clinical setting your doctor's judgement is driven from his experience in treating similar cases. You have to be patient. Are you noticing any improvement in symptoms at all?

Have a look here at the package insert information for vigamox
.