Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: Cracked Mouth Corners, Sore Tongue

lchip - Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:38 am

Over the last few days, I've woken up with cracked mouth corners. I've never had anything like this before. I believe I recently had a yeast infection, and I was wondering if this was related (because I read somewhere online that the cracked mouth corners could be caused by the same kind of thing..).

Also, my tongue has been sore. At first I thought it was due to the fact that I may have bitten it, or some other oral-related injury, but it's been sore now for a few weeks, mainly in the back, and it keeps moving from side to side. I was wondering if these two could be related, and if not, what could be causing my tongue problems.

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:55 am

Dear ichip,
Oral ulcers are common and occur at times of stress when the body's immunity decreases. Given your history of Depression it could well be the cause. It would be a combination of things really: lowered immunity combined with the oral injury.

Yeast infection (candida) is common in diabetics and those taking broad spectrum Antibiotics. They could happen to anyone. If you still have them they should be checked out. Your doctor will prescribe an oral antifungal gel and rule out any underlying cause.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us