Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: Blindness cured?

Seeker - Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:43 pm

Hi!

Yesterday I read something about about a priest called Padre Pio who had stigmata for many years of his life and was said to be able to do various miracles. He died in 1968 and was proclaimed a saint by the Pope in 2002.

There's one "miracle" in particular I find interesting. On many websites you can read that in 1947 he cured a blind girl who was born without pupils and who still lives today and can see normaly since then. Nevertheless I have a hard time believing this... unfortunately there are not many critical websites on the net regarding this girl/woman. In fact the only one I could find yesterday was in Italian and it took me some time reading it, since my knowledge of that language is rather restricted and I needed the help of an online translator. The link to that website: http://www. cicap. org/emilia/pupille. htm

In this article the author writes "Contattando dei medici veniamo a sapere che esistono rare patologie con sintomi simili a quelli dichiarati dalla Di Giorgi." which translates to "Contacting the doctors we came to know that rare pathologies exist with symptoms similar to those reported of Di Giorgi."

So maybe there is a natural explanation for her condition. Another detail from this article I find remarking is that she always wears sun glasses and if she removes them, her eyes are trembling as if they were irritated by the light. This could be an indication that her vision isn't really completely perfect. Regarding the rare pathologies with similar symptoms the author doesn't go into further detail. That's why I'm posting this on the forum: I'd like to hear a medical opinion about this case (with the information available). They say this woman was born without pupils, the iris in her eyes is compact without an opening, so there is no natural way for her to see. What do you think of this case?

Gemma di Giorgi is the name of the woman. On http://biblia. com/pinilla/italia2. htm you can see a videoclip of her when you click on "Gemma en Televisión". The clip shows a close-up of her eyes, but unfortunately the image quality is very weak.

I know this is not a personal medical problem I have, but it puzzles me so I hope I'll get an answer to this. Many thanks in advance,

Seeker
Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:17 pm

Hello:
I am afraid this forum is not set up to answer spiritual questions but rather is for the discussion of medical problems. On a personal note however, since I am Christian, it is interesting to me when I read of these "miracles", that the individuals who are "healed" are not totally healed, such as this young girl you mentioned. However, in the Bible it shows that when Jesus and/or the apostles healed someone the healing was total. It would seem to me then that if someone were to regain sight due to holy spirit it would be complete and not partial. Also Jesus was able to resurrect persons from the dead and so far none of the so-called healers of today have claimed that ability. So is it really from God, or is it a ploy of evil men? I leave that for you to answer.
Regards,
Carolyn