The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Primary Care Answers List

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: Under my tongue

EMO25 - Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:27 pm

for the past few days every time I would move my tongue around inside my mouth and the underside of my tongue slides on my teeth I would feel a slight sting. every time this would happen I would just blow it off and not think twice but this morning I got sick of it and looked under my tongue and I saw two rows of soft spiky looking things going down the underside of my tongue. every time I touch them it hurts I have no idea what they can possibly be. Please someone help me.
will it go away???????? its very noticable
Dr. Russell M - Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:00 pm


I cannot make out what goes on under your tongue without an examination. Nevertheless, as a household remedy, one may begin saline mouth wash (high concentration common salt in water), and maintain oral hygeine. If quite painful, over-the-counter oral anesthetic gels are available for temporary relief. But as always, it is best to consult your doctor for definite advice.


Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us