Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Rhinoplasty malpractice...or silicon rejection?

thati - Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:09 am

Hi, I had rhinoplasty last year 2003 but after a year it start swelling and hurting my surgeon give me anti biotics, the swelling will disappear but come back after taking the anti biotic. I take Antibiotics for almost 2 months but none of it work, he doesnt want to remove it coz he said he doest think its infected, he said maybe just an irritation. But having my nose swelling on and off for 2 months I give up and ask him to just remove it. After he remove it insist that there's no sign of infection at all and there's no pas inside it. Can I still have rhinoplasty again or my body is really rejecting the silicon? How long should I wait to have another surgery? I will appreciate your help. Thanks!
Dr. Russell M - Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:50 am

Hi!

I am no plastic surgeon, but I read that a minor swelling that can continue for several months is a specific risk to rhinoplasty surgery.

Can you still have rhinoplasty? Is your body rejecting silicon? How long should you wait to have another surgery? These are questions only your surgeon would be able to answer in all earnest, and I regret I cannot be of more help.

bill