Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: Strabismus: how to prevent scarring? Is laser use possible?

voronoi62 - Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:56 pm

I had a number of operations correcting strabismus. Five on my left eye and two on the right.
It was so many because the first attempt was unsuccessful and the second caused extensive scarring of the eye globe surface.
Current condition is a scar at the bottom of my left eye that joins together eye globe awith the surrounding fat tissue lining inner eye socket.

I am looking for every possible way to disjoin the eye globe and the fat and if possible to remove the mass of the scar and still to have them separate after everything heals.
To my knowlegde nobody claims that he/she can do it. When a surgeon uses a knife, always a new mass of scar if formed that welds together eye with the eye socket severley limiting eye mobility.

In this letter I am trying to ask the ophtalmologists' community if an ophtalmic laser can be used in order to separate tissues. If anybody know if a laser can be used for this purpose at all, and how the healing goes on. Is there any lower probability of the scar formation after the surgery? Is there a chance that the touching surfaces of the eye and the surrounding fat will stay separated?
Thanks.
Dr. Russell M - Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:55 pm

Hi!

I am afraid your question is beyond my expertise, although I am in touch with our ophthalmologist for some answers. I shall post it as soon as I get a message from him.

Best regards,

bill
Dr. Russell M - Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:33 pm

Hi!

This is the comment I received from the university ophthalmologist where I work:

"Unfortunately, there is no such ophthalmic laser in use for this type of surgery... but am certain that all would say that prognosis for further surgeries is poor."

Hope this helps.

bill

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us