The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: teeth grinding

cheriemonty - Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:21 pm

I grind my teeth at night, because of this my jaw is usually stiff and cracks a lot. My dentist says I need a special mouth guard that costs $500. Would wearing a sports guard at night help?
ttlewis - Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:54 pm

I was grinding/clinching my teeth at night and sometimes during the day. Doctor believes it is a type of nervous/Anxiety thing. (I recently got my braces taken off and wear a clear retainer to bed) I asked my doctor what I should do and told me to start wearing the retainer more often - as a type of mouth/teeth guard. A clear retainer is very comfortable and you can wear it during the day without notice. The reason I mention this is because wearing a sports mouth piece can be somewhat unfortable plus it is hard to talk in one (should you want to answer the phone or talk to someone after putting in the mouth piece.

My mother has the same problem of grinding her teeth and tried wearing a sports mouth piece and found it to be bothersome and finally broke down and bought the expensive $500 mouth piece. In opposition, I paid half the cost and got a clear retainer from my dentist.

hope this helps
cheriemonty - Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:22 pm

Thanks for the info. I will probably end up getting the $500 mouth piece too.
courage - Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:43 pm

I also grind my teeth. I heard about the mouth piece from the dentist but never knew it would cost so much...that seems a bit expensive! Oh well...I guess it's better to pay now than have a lot of damage done later.

Thanks for posting this