Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: Is this food addiction and what can I do about it

enfingert - Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:45 pm

Please tell me that nothing is wrong. About 3 years ago I found this cracker that I really like and has become an outlandish addiction so that all I want are these bacon cheddar crackers. I do not care about eating anything but them and I have gained 60 lbs since starting to eat them so that I am not 200 lbs. I have tried all of recommendations to take this vitamin and that natural vitamin and nothing seems to help. Please is you have any recommendations for me I would greatly appreciate it. I do so want to stop eating these crackers and try and try but to no avail I continuously start eating them again. It has become like a drug to me that I have to have them or I get upset when I can't. I will go to store after store just to find them. There are 6 crackers to each package and I can eat up to 12 or more in a days time.

Please Help :P :) :D :o
Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:28 pm

Hello:
I am sorry you are having this difficulty. Below is the definition of food addiction:

Food addiction is a disorder characterized by preoccupation with food, the availability of food and the anticipation of pleasure from the ingestion of food.
Food addiction involves the repetitive consumption of food against the individuals better judgment resulting in loss of control and preoccupation or the restriction of food and preoccupation with body weight and image.

Types of food addiction

Anorexia Nervosa is characterized by intense fear of gaining weight.
Behavior includes excessive weighing, excessive measuring of body parts, and persistently using a mirror to check body size. Self-esteem is dependent upon body shape and weight. Weight loss is viewed as an impressive achievement and an example of extraordinary self discipline.

Physical implications may include disruption of the menstrual cycle, signs of starvation, thinning of hair or hair loss, bloated feeling, yellowish palms/soles of feet, dry, pasty skin.

Bulimia Nervosa is described as binge eating and compensatory behavior to prevent weight gain. Individuals become ashamed of their eating behavior and attempt to conceal symptoms through rapid consumption of food. They will eat until painfully full and stop if intruded upon.
80-90% of bulimics will induce Vomiting. Other behaviors include, misuse of laxatives, fasting and excessive exercise.

Physical implications include, loss of dental enamel, increase of cavities, swollen saliva glands, calluses, scars on hands, irregular menstrual cycle, dependency on laxatives for bowel movements, fluid and electrolyte disturbance.

Compulsive Overeaters use food inappropriately and eventually become addicted to it and lose control over the amount of food they eat. Overeaters demonstrate uncontrollable binge eating without extreme weight control and see that behavior as normal.
Overeaters present with moderate to severe obesity, with an average binge eater being 60% overweight. Bingeing episodes consist of carbohydrates and junk food with most binges done in scheduled secrecy.

Because food addiction can cause such severe physical, emotional, mental and social problems it is important to get counseling to understand what has led to this addiction and how to control it. I recommend you ask your family doctor for a referral to a mental health specialist for help.
I wish you success.

Carolyn
Gelfey - Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:09 am

it is just about your concern, I found some interesting topic and articles on weight loss, addiction of eating habit and more in http://www. slimtour. com

you can find more on weight loss by visiting this site.
jenner - Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:23 am

... are you eating ANYTHING else besides these crackers??