Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: huge lip problem!

aprillm - Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:56 pm

Yesterday morning, I woke up with a pain in my bottom lip, I looked in the mirror and only the left half of my bottom lip is swollen and it has a few of these boil type things on it, that are white colored, through out yesterday the lip just got more swollen and the boil things grew in size.. so I put zinc oxide on it and medicated chapstick, this morning I woke up and still only the left side was HUGE.. and the boils were bigger too, but now they are yellow colored and it has like spread to a little below my lip onto my skin right under the lip just a little... please, im very scared and its very painful... thank you for any advice you could give me!!! please!.
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:00 pm

Dear April,

What you describe sounds like a simple herpes lip infection or Shingles of the lip.

I think that if you try abreva it might disappear faster.

There is another possibility, that this might a side effect of a new medicine that you started taking recently, but this is a remote possibility as usually this develops faster than that and does not affect only one half of the lip.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.
waqas - Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:38 pm

I also have this lip problem since my childhood. When I talk my bottom lip from the right side goes down....................I don't know what to do about it....
If any suggestions like medications or some excercises that can have my bottom lip straight would be really appreciated.
Please help me with this matter.
:(
Regards