Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: Salty Taste in Mouth

Woody - Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:47 pm

I had a root canal in my lower right molar 4 weeks ago (only the first half of it was done). The dentist gave me penicillan. I took two the first day and the 2nd day I got a terrible taste of medicine in my mouth so I threw it out. Since then, I've had a horrible medicine taste until a couple of days ago, it changed to a salty taste. The dentist says its not the tooth. My doctor said he didn't know what it was. Its driving me nuts. It feels like its leaching out of my gums but my tongue and lips are salty too now. Do you have any suggestions or could you tell me what kind of doctor to go to?
Dr. Russell M - Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:11 pm

Hi!

A peculiar taste is part of the side-effect profile of your drug Elavil, though I would not know how that can be related to your circumstance of tooth removal and subsequent medications. Sorry I don't think I could be of more help here.

bill