Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: Bloody Oysters

Seryany - Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:01 pm

Whenever I have had the flu, it usually begins with sore throat and days or weeks later as it ends, I Cough up a big chunk of bloody phlem. I have learned that this is a signal that the virus has been beaten and the worst is over.

I am asking why? Why that big chunk, why is there (where is it?) why does it's release signal the end of flu symptoms?

Your thoughts?

Seryan,
Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:55 am

Hi Seryany,
Generally speaking, people who have the flu don't normally Cough up bloody phlegm unless they have had severe Coughing episodes and an infection in the respiratory tract. Do you only Cough up bloody phlegm once? Do you Cough up bloody phlegm only during the times of your illness or is it at other times as well? If it is at other times, I would suggest an evaluation by your physician.