The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: Salty taste

DonnaRae - Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:25 am

I have for the past month had a bad taste in my mouth and it also seems salty. When I touch the sides of my mouth with my tongue it seems salty. It is almost like it excretes in a large amount off and on.
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:04 pm

What you are experiencing is an abnormal sensation in the tongue. Most of the authorities associate taste and smell together all the time so what you might think is related to taste could actually be related to smell.

Taste and smell dysfunctions have several causes
1. Common cold and influenza.
2. Nose and throat infections.
3. Dry mouth.
4. Smoking (especially pipe). Do you smoke?
5. Vitamin B-12 or mineral (like zinc) deficiency.
6. Gingivitis.
7. Drug side effects such as antithyroid drugs, Captopril, griseofulvin, lithium, penicillamine, procarbazine, rifampin, vinblastine, or vincristine.
8. Sjogren's syndrome (Dry mouth and eyes associated with some autoimmune diseases).
9. Bell's palsy (Paralysis of the nerve going to the face causing facial droop). Does not sound like it in your case.
10. Here's one more really unlikely possibility: Since sensation ultimately resides in the brain, the problem could be upstairs. Migraine, Epilepsy and brain tumor all come to mind, but each of these would be exceptionally rare explanations for your problem.

I would advise you to see your doctor and have an examination of the nerves of your face, nose, ears, throat and tongue if your symptoms persist or worsen, or if your symptoms appear to be associated with other unusual symptoms.