Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Constant Clearing of the Throat

jacksonusa - Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:49 am

Last January (2004) I quit smoking for about a month. During that month, the air got real dry being it is in the middle fo winter. I also worked in a lab which had real dry air. I started getting this feeling in the throat where I had to clear it all the time. I could clear up some junk, which was sometimes clear and other times was not. Some times, there would be nothing that came up. I finally went and saw and ENT doctor and after examining my throat, he said there was nothing wrong. A nurse had told me prior to that that it sounded like I could have throat cancer. The doctor said no, everything was fine. It finally went away and only a few times since then did it come back.

Now, for the past 3 months it has come back pretty regularly and over the past monht it has been constant. Sometimes I Cough stuff up and other times, just clear my throat but most of the time, I can get something to come up. This has me troubled and I think it is more than just dry air irritating my throat. It feels like my throat is coated with something. The stuff I Cough up is not phlegm and it doesn't come up from out of my lungs but only my throat. I've tried Vitamin C drops, Cough drops, just about everything to try and see if my throat was dry. I've even gargled with warm salt water and usually have a humidifier in my room as I sleep but nothing seems to relieve this.

Any and all replies with ideas or remedies would greatly be welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you very much!!

P. S. This makes it difficult at times to try and sing which I tend to do from time to time since I'm in a band. But like I said, this just started last year out of the blue which I originally thought was dry air. I also don't think It's caused by any other air irritants as I'm not really around any of those.

Thanks.
spencersmummy - Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:30 am

Having to clear your throat quite a bit. I had that problem along with heart burn and such problems. Do you have heart burn more than 3 -4 times a week? DO you use Tums? TUMS?

I was diagnosed with Gerds (A version of really bad heart burn that over time can damage your throat and esphogeaus). I had to they were saying it was nothing so I went on with it for 2 yrs. I went to another doc and he told me I had severe damage to my esphogeaus Spelling?

If you think your doctor maybe overlooking something like this try another one. You know when you are looking for something and then someone else steps right in and says hey here it is?!

Katrina