Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Severe Vertigo and driving

mscobra26 - Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:11 pm

I had an episode of vertigo which caused what I think was a Panic attack while driving home from Savannah, GA to Clemson, SC. Can anyone tell me what causes "vertigo" and what treatments are available for this?? I was given Paxil for it but I then felt as if I was a head case. The attack consisted of Rapid heart beat (made me think I was having a Heart attack) and a sense of separation from myself. I am 31 yrs old and never felt so helpless in my life. 4 trips to the ER and no explanation is just simply disheartening. I feel like a freak of nature. Help!! Anyone??
Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:07 pm

Hi mscobra26,
Generally speaking, mental stress can make many forms of vertigo worse, but will not, by itself, produce vertigo. In some cases the cause of vertigo is unknown. Vertigo can be a symptom of many different illnesses and disorders from inflammation of the inner ear to disorders in the back of the brain and or certain medications. If a neurological evaluation has not been completed to rule out a physical cause, I would suggest it be completed. Treatment depends on identifying the underlying cause. Meclizine is a common medication used to treat vertigo, but again an underlying cause should be indentified for appropriate treatment.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us