The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Vocal Nodule

Laxapatel - Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:02 am

My mother has a vocal nodule. Doctor says it is because she speaks too loudly because of the nature of the business she is in. Is this(nodule) something serious?

I want to know what is the best treatment for her.

Laxa
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:16 pm

Dear Laxa,

Vocal cord nodules are caused by continuous irritation to the vocal cords such as done by screaming, continuous low pitched voice and wrong techniques in singing.

Vocal cord nodules have certain characteristics that readily and easily identified by specialists. So, if you were told that these are vocal nodules, then I don't have a reason to suspect that they are otherwise.

Treatment for vocal cord nodules is initially always conservative with referral for voice therapy. Most patients respond after several sessions of voice therapy, but satisfactory improvement can take up to 12 to 18 months.

Surgery is reserved for rare cases that do not respond to voice therapy. Postoperative voice therapy, smoking cessation and acid reflux control are always indicated before and after surgical removal of nodules.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.