Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: earache

little_miss_mortisha - Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:36 pm

I was wondering if anyone could help me- I have had earache now for nearly about 5 weeks, first it was very on and off, but its becoming more persistant and painful. I have gone to the docs before xmas but they said my ear looked clearof infection.

I do suffer from bad sinus problems, could this be the cause of the earache? I also find that I get bad Headaches witrh it. I am just wondering if I should make another appointment at the doc and see what he has to say?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Natalie :)
Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:39 am

Hi little_miss_mortisha,
Sinus problems/infections cause terrible Headaches and may cause ear pain as well. If your ears were evaluated and all came back clear, then it's possible it could be sinus related. Have your sinus problems been evaluated and treated? If not I would suggest that be taken care of.
little_miss_mortisha - Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:14 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I went to the drs and she said that I have water in the ear, one of my tubes is inflammed. She thinks that this is due to a recent infection and/or a cold.

I have had 8 sinus operations and see a consultant every few months. He wants me to have a hearing test when I next go and have it evaluated. :)

So I guess its just a wait and see thing. Can you suggest anything that might help get rid of the pain that I am experiancing?

Thank you again for yur reply :)
Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:24 pm

Hi little_miss_mortisha,
Have you tried applying heat to the affected ear? This sometimes temporarily relieves the pain.
little_miss_mortisha - Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:30 pm

no, ill give it a try thank you!! :D