The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: low carbohydrate diet and hypogluc

scorpiona_de - Thu May 22, 2003 4:36 pm

Hello!
I moved to canada 10 months ago from germany and this food here is just making me fat. then I came across a book, called the carbohydrate addict's diet and thought that this is actually, what I am. I had problems stopping to eat carbs al my life.
now I thought, this might be a good way to eat, if the diet really helps, but I am a little afraid, that because of eating breakfast and lunch with very low carbs ( that's the way this diet is supposed to work ) and having only dinner with carbs, it could make my bloodsugar go down extremely.
I know, that if the bloodsugar goes down, the body should try to get sugar that is needed out of the fat-depots, that's what makes you loose way. but my question is: IS THERE ANY WAY , that I could go on too less bloodsugar while dieting and could this have dangerous effects? a normal body should never fall into hypoglucemia ( hope this is spelled right ), as long you did not inject too much Insulin as a diebetis patient, or as long you are not eating nothing at all and having no fat depot. is that right? I just don't want to take any risks and I tend to be a little panic so I sometimes talk myself into feeling something, that isn't there. ( like maybe low bloodsugar )
thanks in advance for any answer, ute
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu May 22, 2003 6:40 pm

Scorpiona_de,
You know more than you think. Yes if you are normal it is not dangerous to go into hypoglycemia as long as you are still eating healthy. That means as you put it "as long as you don't starve yourself to death". Infact again as you put it :D the whole purpose of a diet is to reduce those fat depots. A word to note though a diet is usually better and easier to implemement by also excercising. However, you should consult a doctor before excercising as not every sport would be suitable for your age, and physique.
Anonymous - Thu May 22, 2003 7:16 pm

Hello Tamer Fouad, M. D. !
thank you so much for the fast reply and whiping out my worries!
will go and start a more healthy life now and hopefully loose a little extra weight!
:P
have a wonderful day, ute