The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: nose bleeds

tulip18 - Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:40 pm

everytime I blow my nose there is always a tiny amount of blood is that ok?
lackie - Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:06 pm

Hello Tulip:
I see from your posting that you live in Canada, unless you live in Vancouver, at this time of year with the extreme cold temperatures and indoor heating the air tends to be very dry. This can cause bleeding when you blow your nose. Do you, or are you able to have a humidifier in your home, that would probably help greatly, even setting out a few large vases of water around your home would be beneficial in the winter months. Also are you drinking enough water? 8 to 10 - 250ml. glasses of water a day is recommended
There are other causes for nose bleeds, ie: sinus infections, trauma, (that could include even blowing your nose to vigorously,) Anemia, but I would look to this first as being the most probable cause. If this persists, or your bleeding is profuse then I would recommend presenting to your doctor or a clinic. I hope this may be of some assistance to you. Let me know how you get on.
Sincerley
Nurse Kim