Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: I have no idea where this goes but I need help.

kelly180 - Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:19 pm

I got hit by a car when I was 17 (I'm 24).
I had alot of injuries from that, but about two days after the accident I was really dizzy when I would lay down. The whole room would spin.

I had about 4 catscans and all came back negative for anything.

The dizziness never went away.
I've had it for 7 years now and nobody knows what is causing it.
I have had everything they could think of checked.
Here is the list:
Full blood count several times.
STD test.
Catscans too many to count.
ENG. (CAme back slightly negative and was chalked off to Anxiety from the test being so horrible)
EEG.
One yaer of therapy and Antidepressants ruling out Anxiety disorder or anything mental.
Blood pressure is fine sugar also anything involving routine office visit is clear.

It's not really dizziness in the sense of room spinning though sometimes it is. It's more like this 24/7 "foggy" "disconected" feeling. My hands sweat and I shake sometimes. I can't see correctly and just all together off blanced.

AFter seven years of "living" this way and having a two year old son and being a single mother I am at wits end.
Latley it has gotten worse. now not only am I dizzy but tired no matter how muc hsleep I get, I get headahces everyday, I'm achey all over like I've been doing hard labor and I'm just sitting all day.
Some days the lightheadness is so bad I cannot get out of bed.

Any advice or things to be specifally tested for would help greatly.
I appreciate it.

Kelly.
dsutton - Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:55 pm

Kelly,
You asked for specific things you can be tested for, one thought is to see an ENT (ears/nose/throat dr.) to rule out labyrinthitis, a condition within the ear that can cause dizziness/ room spinning and an unsteady gate. Also, a step further might be to ask your dr for an MRI of your head if so desired, it shows alot more detail than a cat scan. These are just suggestions that I didnt see that youve had done in the past.
kelly180 - Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:42 pm

I saw and ENT and the results came back where they were boarderline so they chalked it off to Anxiety.
I'm going to see a Neuro on the 21st and I"m getting an MRI done then.

Hopefully it won't be in vain like the rest of my attmepts.