The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Studying Basic Sciences

Question: Passing out in Biology

GhettoSocks - Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:40 am

Ever since I was really little I always passed out whenever anything medical was mentioned (this site is dangerous for me). I've learned to control the passing out by walking outside and not thinking about it. I'm having a particularily hard time in Biology because of all of the references to blood, diseases and viruses. Today in class my teacher was talking about AIDS and I almost passed out. It's not that I'm grossed out, it comes without warning and all of a sudden I get light headed and my ears ring a bit. I've been wondering for a while now what could possibly be wrong with me. I may just have some psychological problem, but I have no idea where that came from. My mom and her dad are the same way, they can't see blood, look at shots, hear about diseases or sicknesses in any form, and if they read about something they get nausous just like me. It's strange, and I just don't know what to say about it. I want to get to the bottom of it because I just can't keep running out of class like I've been doing. Please help!!
Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:55 am

Hi GhettoSocks,
I can certainly understand what your saying. Actually there were a couple of medical procedures which made me feel the same way and took some time for this to dissipate. This is actually a phobia, fear of an object, situation, event, etc. In many cases fear is a learned behavior. Fear/stressors cause symptoms such as feeling hot, sweaty, flushed, increases in heart rate, Nausea, dizziness, and fainting. Thoughts and feelings which create fear can initiate the fight or flight response in all of us. A potential threat or situation causes the release of adrenaline in our bodies which causes an immediate increase in heart rate, breathing, etc., which in turn causes even more adrenaline to be released. We can trick our bodies into a calm state by slowing the breathing down, which in turn slows down the heart rate which stops the release of adrenaline. If you could practice relaxation techniques to reduce the Anxiety when exposure to the situations occur, this may help resolve the problem. Here is a suggestion for a simple breathing technique called triangle breathing
1. Inhale for 3 SLOW seconds
2. HOLD IT for 3 SLOW seconds
3. Exhale completely for 3 SLOW seconds.
4. Repeat 3 times.
I hope you find this helpful.