The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: becoming a doctor in the US

helen737 - Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:36 pm

Hopefully I'll be at medical school later this year, and was just wondering about the US system. . I'm interested in studying medicine in the UK then moving to the states. Does anyone know if this is a hard thing to do?
It seems really quite complicated to become a doctor in the states. Applying to medical school is very different from in england because most people apply straight after school- does everyone have to take a university course before you can apply to medical school in the states? Also we can only apply to maximum of 4 universities and I hear you can apply to loads in the US.
Anyway any advice on how to be a doc in the states after I graduate would be great.
Thanks!
anisarit - Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:50 am

All International Medical Graduates (IMGs) need to undergo certain things before licensure in the US. You must pass Step 1, Step 2CK, Step 2CS (and Step 3 if you need a Visa). Then you can apply for residencies. It is, ofcourse mucfh more difficult to get a residency if you are an IMG, but definately doable, and even easy in some states (New York). If you need a Visa, it's a bit more difficult, so make sure you score very high. Some residency positions (Dermatology, Radiology, Neurosurgery, Orthopedics) don't normally take IMGs and scores that are minimums for interviews would be in the high 90s (98, 99). If you can't get accepted in the States, do what you can and go through this procedure, but know the consequences attached.
Oh, study Kaplan!
Good Luck!