Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: becoming a doctor in the US

helen737 - Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:36 pm

Hopefully I'll be at medical school later this year, and was just wondering about the US system. . I'm interested in studying medicine in the UK then moving to the states. Does anyone know if this is a hard thing to do?
It seems really quite complicated to become a doctor in the states. Applying to medical school is very different from in england because most people apply straight after school- does everyone have to take a university course before you can apply to medical school in the states? Also we can only apply to maximum of 4 universities and I hear you can apply to loads in the US.
Anyway any advice on how to be a doc in the states after I graduate would be great.
anisarit - Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:50 am

All International Medical Graduates (IMGs) need to undergo certain things before licensure in the US. You must pass Step 1, Step 2CK, Step 2CS (and Step 3 if you need a Visa). Then you can apply for residencies. It is, ofcourse mucfh more difficult to get a residency if you are an IMG, but definately doable, and even easy in some states (New York). If you need a Visa, it's a bit more difficult, so make sure you score very high. Some residency positions (Dermatology, Radiology, Neurosurgery, Orthopedics) don't normally take IMGs and scores that are minimums for interviews would be in the high 90s (98, 99). If you can't get accepted in the States, do what you can and go through this procedure, but know the consequences attached.
Oh, study Kaplan!
Good Luck!

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us