Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: High School student here,

premed16 - Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:58 am

Hello. I'm currently in grade 11 and thinking a lot about what I want to have as a career when I'm older. I truly want to be a doctor, but I'm not sure about my capabilities academically. I'm one of those people who procrastinates until the last minute. I'm not getting the best grades I could be. I'm getting about 3 or 4 A's, and 4 B's at the halfway mark for the year. I'm taking 3 sciences. Chem 11, Bio 11, and Physics 11. I'm aware that our GPA has to be in the high 90's to become a doctor, and I need advice. Also, I know that it's very expensive to become a doctor. My family is financially unstable at the moment, and I don't know how I will pay for everything. I could take a big loan, which I'm planning on doing. Do you think it's hopeless for me to want to be a doctor with my grades being so low and my financial situation? I know that it's a very long and challenging process, but I'm willing to do it. I truly am. If you know, do I have to take Physics 12 and Calculus in high school? I'm really wondering what I need to do.

I enjoy helping people so much, and that truly must be the greatest feeling in the world.. to have the ability to heal. I haven't even started volunteering yet at hospitals. I haven't really done anything at this point. Can you give me some pointers on what I should do at this point? Like volunteering at hospitals? What else could I do? If you could help me out it would be great. I live in Canada, not the US, by the way. Thanks for your time.
dlugose - Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:35 am

Gee, 3 sciences at once? Is that kind of unusual there as it would be in the US? You say you procrastinate. Is that just a motivation thing, or is it possible you both have ADHD but do pretty well because you are gifted (as I was)?
You seem to have enough science background for your level; in college diversify, satisfy other curiosities, follow various interests so you can find studying more interesting and raise your average, while keeping up with how much science most other pre-meds take.
Borrowing is feasible if you are going to make it into med school AND if you will love medicine so much that you don't mind paying a big chunk of your income on college loans. Volunteer in hospitals both to make sure you are realistic about your interests and to diversify your applications when you get to med school. Also learn in the hospital more about what other health care workers do, partly because there are too many applicants for med school.

premed16 wrote:

premed16 - Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:20 am

Yeah, it is kind of unusual to take the sciences at once here too. Everyone thinks I'm insane for taking all 3. Even I thought I wouldn't be able to do it, but half way into the year... it's not so bad. I've adjusted to it. For the procrastination... it's not so much motivation as it is laziness. When I start studying, I'm on a role. But it's getting into the position of starting that's my problem. However, I finally realized that I need to stop procrastinating in order to get some better marks... I have a GPA of 84% for term one. That's when I wasn't really applying myself and putting things off till the last minute. This term, I'm actually starting to study whenever I can and I actually care about future tests. I guess that's the first step right?

I still haven't started volunteering at hospitals, but you're right, I think I should start now so I know for sure that that's the kind of environment I want to work in. It would be such a waste for me to be all set to go into medicine and then realize that I don't even like it. I don't think that'll happen though, because I can't imagine NOT wanting to go into that field. I realize that there are a huge number of applicants for med school, and that's kind of the only thing that is holding me back. I don't want to study in this field for 4 years only to be shut down. That's a good idea, to learn what other health care workers do. I will definitely keep an open mind. Thank you very much for your advice, I will certainly take all what you said into consideration.