The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Out of Control Nasal Congestion... HELP!

Mzjournalist - Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:21 pm

Hello. I am writing because ever since I went off to college I have had bad sinuses. I've always had to deal with some type of sinuses when I moved from the beach to the mountains( it did not occur until then) Lately it has gotten out of hand. I find myself having to breathe out of my mouth sometimes I can't even blow my nose because it seems that the mucus is trapped somewhere in the back. I'm constantly trying to clear my nose, but I can't. I have been given several sinus medications and they work for a little while (barely), but then they do not work anymore. When I was younger I use to have to go to the emergency room because my throat passageway would get completly blocked by my tonsils that you couldn't even see down my throat. The doctors said that there was nothing wrong, that my tonsils were just swollen. I haven't had that problem in a couple of years. Also, my doctor told me that my nostrils were large but that nothing was irregular. I'm just trying to figure out what is wrong because my nasal congestion has gotten really bad that I have trouble breathing sometimes when I'm sleep and my friends that have been around me when I take a nap say that it scares them because it seems that I'm struggiling to breathe while I'm sleep. My mother says I now l seem to sleep with my mouth slightly open and that I take in large gasps of air through my mouth. At first I thought it was just sinuses, but I'm starting to wonder. This doesn't seem normal, and I don't like fighting just for air. Also, When I breathe in and out you can hear this noise that sounds like I'm snoring, but I'm not, it's how I breathe. My post basal drip is out of hand too... HELP ME!! :oops: :oops:
angelseakr - Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:52 am

Hi , I am sorry that you are having so much trouble. My question is have you had a physician look at your tonsils lately and if so what was seen. Did anyone ever tell you hthat you have allergies? My husband strugles in a similar way. He takes zyrtec, flonase and occasionally a saline nasal spray. I know certain times of the year a worse than others. Now the pine pollen is in the air and its causing lots of trouble. Perhaps you physician can offer a sleep study if your concerned about breathing while alsleep. One last thing, are you significantly overweight?
Mzjournalist - Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:17 pm

First off I want to Thank you for responding... No, I'm not significantly overweight, I weigh about 130... See I had someone look at my tonsils because when my passageway was blocked when I was in high school, it was because my tonsils were so swollen. I normally have allergies, but this nasal problem is constant and I've also been put on flonase, allegra, and others.. I'm starting to think there is something more than allergies because when I take allergy medicine, all of my allergies clear, but I'm constantly still have trouble breathing and nose congestion. I was told that I should go get my Adenoids looked at.. What do you think? :oops: :D
NikkyLeClair - Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:43 pm

Have you ever had any CT Scans of your sinuses to see if their is any deformities of abnomalites?

Nikky, MA
angelseakr - Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:16 am

Hi I think you have a great idea to have them looked at. I know its so bothersom to have such breathing problems. Good luck....