Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: please help me !!!!!!

jaime4297 - Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:28 pm

Hi, for the past week now I have been having this clicking / popping noise / feling on the right side of my throat when I swallow. It is really scaring me. Last week I had a sore throat the doctor gave me medicine (amox) and it the soreness cleared up for the most part exceot for the morning but I think that is more PND. anyway I also went to my ENT and he did an endo scope (look down the throat through the nose) and he said he did not see anything.
I am really concerned. it is very annoying. I don't really think it is causing any other symptoms, although I do sometimes feel as though my salvia (not food) does not go down all the ay on that one side.
I read something on here about the hyroid bone (is that right??) could there be a tumor on that bone? Please help any info would be really appreciated.
Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:40 pm

Hello:
The clicking when you swallow can be a symptom of problems with the Eustachian tubes of your ears and when this occurs it can result in tinnitus. I would recommend having your ears checked.
Kind regards,
Carolyn
eferrell - Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:51 am

I would get checked for problems with your tjemporomandibular joint, like TMJ. I have this and my jaw clicks and pops all the time. I haven't gotten treatment and sometimes it hurts to swallow or my food goes down the wrong tube, but I don't have insurance. The nurse told me I could get a -- I forget the word -- well, it's a disk that you wear in your mouth at night to help relieve the pressure and pain of TMJ. She said it costs about $25 or you can go to an ENT specialist and get one custom-made for about $300.