Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Lost Voice

fintin - Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:19 am

Yesterday I woke up with a Headache and a sore throat. Thought nothing of it. It hurt when I swallowed. Now today I woke up and I am unable to talk I have lost my voice and trying to talk is painful and swallowing is painful. My throat is in agony. I have drunk lots of liquids (even though it hurts) to help it but no improvement :( I cannot talk at all...
Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:47 pm

Hi fintin,
Sometimes after experiencing a a viral or bacterial infection, (upper respiratory infection, flu, common cold etc.) laryngitis or inflammation of the vocal cords occur. The inflammation causes hoarseness or loss of voice.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us