The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Lost Voice

fintin - Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:19 am

Yesterday I woke up with a Headache and a sore throat. Thought nothing of it. It hurt when I swallowed. Now today I woke up and I am unable to talk I have lost my voice and trying to talk is painful and swallowing is painful. My throat is in agony. I have drunk lots of liquids (even though it hurts) to help it but no improvement :( I cannot talk at all...
Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:47 pm

Hi fintin,
Sometimes after experiencing a a viral or bacterial infection, (upper respiratory infection, flu, common cold etc.) laryngitis or inflammation of the vocal cords occur. The inflammation causes hoarseness or loss of voice.