Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Recurrent nosebleeds in 7yr old

Kazzy - Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:58 am

My 7yr old daughter has been waking during the night with nose bleeds. She used to get them frequently and on 2 occassions bled to the point where I called the hospital as she was starting to go pale. (the nurse said to wait a little longer and it did stop so didnt take her in).
She hasn't had them for quite a few months now but has started again this last week and a half. This week she's had 3 nights where she's woken in the middle of the night with a blood nose. One night appeared to be both nostrils.
Is it normal for a sleeping child to wake with a blood nose? She sleeps with her head slightly raised in bed.
Also (not sure if this is significant or not) she fell over a week ago and at first didn't appear to have any real damage done but ended up rushing her to hospital few hours later where she spent the week in hospital with grazed and bruised kidney and mild internal bleeding. Is she just frail?

Any advise would be great.

Thanks,
Kazzy
Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:43 pm

Hi Kazzy,
Do the nose bleeds occur more often in the winter months? I usually think of time periods of low humidity, usually during the winter months, when home heating is in use. There are a significant amount of blood vessels in the sinuses and when these become excessively dry, it may cause frequent nosebleeds. I will forward this post to one of the doctors on the forum for a more definative answer :)
NikkyLeClair - Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:32 pm

In many cases where nosebleeds are recurrent or last long periods of time, they are cauterized. This can be done 2 ways. The least scary way for a child is using silver nitrile stick which closes off the bleeding vessel. It essentially looks like those big match sticks, and this way is not painfull. On other occasions they need to be cauterized with a machine, for kids this is much more scary. I would get your child checked by an ENT specialist if this continues to be a problem, especially if they are lasting for more that 30 an hour at a time.

Hope I helped.

Nikky, MA
Kazzy - Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:07 pm

thank you for your responce. To your question.....it's almost the end of summer here and again last night she woke with a blood nose. Wasn't a really bad one but thats now 3 nights in a row.

Thanks,

Kazzy