The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Strep Throat

jqualls - Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:37 pm

I went to the Doctor on Tuesday and told him that I had been exposed to strep throat. He prescribed medication for it. It is now Thursday and it has only been 5 doses of the medicine, but my throat feels tighter and is harder to swallow. I have never had strep before now and am not sure how it acts compared to a normal sore throat. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Jessie
Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:19 pm

Hi jqualls,
Strep throat may cause a severe sore throat in some people. There are usually white patches on the tonsils or in the back of the throat. Also, in some people, there is a grape type of odor to their breath. Generally speaking with oral Antibiotics, improvement is noted in about 3 days of treatment. However, if symptoms don't improve or are worsening, you should notify your physician.
jqualls - Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:39 pm

:cry: I ended up going back to the doctor yesterday. Ended up I have Mono as well as the strep throat.