Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Strep Throat

jqualls - Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:37 pm

I went to the Doctor on Tuesday and told him that I had been exposed to strep throat. He prescribed medication for it. It is now Thursday and it has only been 5 doses of the medicine, but my throat feels tighter and is harder to swallow. I have never had strep before now and am not sure how it acts compared to a normal sore throat. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Jessie
Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:19 pm

Hi jqualls,
Strep throat may cause a severe sore throat in some people. There are usually white patches on the tonsils or in the back of the throat. Also, in some people, there is a grape type of odor to their breath. Generally speaking with oral Antibiotics, improvement is noted in about 3 days of treatment. However, if symptoms don't improve or are worsening, you should notify your physician.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
jqualls - Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:39 pm

:cry: I ended up going back to the doctor yesterday. Ended up I have Mono as well as the strep throat.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us