The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: I want to study medicine - don't know which specialty?

spiritedeye - Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:38 pm

I've wanted to study medicine since I was about 15, but as I left school early because of problems, I never got the chance to do my GCSE's. So obviously, I thought it was impossible to study it. After overcoming the problems I had at school, I'm now taking my exams at college, and I'm hoping to become a medical student if and when I pass.

The problem is, I'm unsure of which field I'd like to work in. I've searched on the internet for some information, but I haven't really found anything helpful. I thought maybe Dentistry or Audiological Scientist, but I'd like to know more about the other fields of medicine before I make a decision. Does anyone know of any useful sites that would tell me what's involved and the qualifications needed?

I hope someone can help. Thanks :)
Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:22 pm

Dear Spiritedeye,

well, this is a very tricky question!!?cause we never knew which speciality we wanted untill we've tried it all.
welll, this is a nice medical site that might help you.
http://www. medical-training. info/index. html

but my advice to you is to search online for Medical schools in UK ...see which one's near you ...then you can browse inside their website...they can tell you about the different specialityies they've got.

this is a website for all medical schools in UK. http://www. chms. ac. uk/fschlweb. html

this is just a start ...I hope that's helped you?
Best wishes :)
spiritedeye - Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:57 pm

Thank you so much for your reply.

I'll have a look at those websites. I didn't think of searching for medical schools, so thank you for your advice. It's helped a lot :D

Spiritedeye
Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:32 pm

Good luck and best wishes future colleague :wink:
spiritedeye - Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:12 pm

Thank you :D

I found a university near me and I've ordered a prospectus.

Thanks again!

Spiritedeye