Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Chronic sore throat

skrandles - Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:43 am

Chronic sore throat

I have had a sore throat for 6 months. I have seen a family doctor, 2 ENTs, and 2 GI doctors. They have thought it was GERD and have been treating me with Nexium (also tried Protonix and Aciphex). That helps a little. The ENT did and in office scope that showed a small lesion in my throat, which he attributed to reflux. He scoped again after 8 weeks and it looked better, but the pain was the same. The GI doctor did an Endoscopy and saw nothing. He essential said there was nothing he could do - any suggestions for where to go from here?
Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:33 pm

Hi skrandles,
Do you have sinus problems or allergies as these are a couple of things that will cause a persistent sore throat. GERD, due to the acid reflux with also cause throat irritation. The "lesion" you mentioned, was it biopsied? If so what were the results, and if not I would suggest you ask why? If it was due to the appearance or what exactly.