The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: Large, puffy nipples?

NeedHelpscared - Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:54 pm

Hi, I'm 16 years old and used to have normal looking and sized nipples. Around 3 years ago, my nipples became larger and puffy. They are still large and puffy and I was wondering, can this be life threatening? Or is it most likely Gynecomastia? They look similar to pictures I have seen, but slightly larger. It's been three years since then, so I'm assuming it can't kill me?

Thank you very much.
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:07 am

Dear Needhelpscared,

I think that this is just a normal change of puberty.

Gynecomastia is a firm disc of tissues under the nipple not affecting the nipple itself and it usually occurs during puberty, or secondary to some diseases (example liver disease) and some medications.

It sometimes helps the other users of the forum if you mention your gender (as some posts can be a little bit confusing) as regular users don''t have access to such info in your personal profile, so if you don't mention it...

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.
NeedHelpscared - Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:50 pm

thanks, this is a huge relief. I would say they are maybe 2 inches from the base, and protrude maybe 1 inch and a half? Maybe less? They both are the same, do not hurt, and are very soft. I am a male. So the chances of this being a cancer or something is pretty slim? I also recently have had stomach discomfort for about the past five days. I do not know why, but sometimes Iíll have a weird sensation in my chest. I am 16 years old, certainly this couldnít be a Heart attack?