The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: salty taste in mouth

sylvia_c - Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:32 pm

I have had a salty taste in my mouth for about 6 weeks. About 4 weeks ago I lost about 90 percent of my sense of smell and sense of taste, which I am assuming has to do with the salty taste.
The only medication I am on is synthroid for Hypothyroidism which has been stable for many years. My doctor has not been able to diagnos this. I have had a head xray for sinus problems, and a CT scan for brain tumor both of which turned out clear and negative.
I would appreciate any information or help on this subject.
Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:07 am

Hi sylvia_c,
Apparently sinus disorders and any sort of brain lesion have been ruled out as causative factors, and this symptom is not generally a side effect of synthroid. The sense of smell and taste are very closely related and dysfunctions may have many causes, from recent infections, dehydration, smoking, vitamin deficiencies (B12 specifically), mineral deficiencies, etc. Have you had a recent dental exam to rule out any disorders? If you have had a dental exam then I would consider one of the other above problems.