The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: bad taste in mouth

rc_woods - Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:44 pm

Hi. For about the past week, off and on I have noticed an unpleasant taste in my mouth. Sometimes it appears more when I swallow, but normally I just notice it whenever. I've tried brushing my tongue, mouthwash, and of course brushing my teeth but nothing has gotten rid of it COMPLETELY. It does seem to have lessened the past 2 days. Is it some type of infection perhaps? I'd like any possible help.
Thanks!
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:02 pm

Dear rc_woods,
Does this bad taste bare any relation to your wisdom tooth extraction? If not then it could be an infection. The infection doesnt have to be in the mouth, it could also be in the gut or in the nose. It could be psychological. Taste is a complex sense that is composed of many elements (taste buds, smell, mental interpretation). Do you have any other complaints?
concernedpatient - Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:55 am

I am also getting that same bad taste. It taste really bad. Its not a bitter taste, its more like a "I've been eating pig intestines" kind of taste. I don't know what could be the matter.
Aaron - Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:05 am

I've had a nasty taste in the back of my mouth for a few days now, and it's nasty as can be. It tastes like the rotten skin that was around my molar when I had it removed. I brush my teeth on a regular basis, and the taste comes from the back of my throat. What could this be, and how can I get rid of it? please help.
missems01 - Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:28 pm

I had just got my wisdom teeth out about a week ago. Now I am having this gross taste that I have never tasted before. It comes and it goes. I called my oral surgeon and he said that it is were food is getting stuck in the holes left from the surgery. To solve this he said to take a syringe, put warm salt water in it and flush out the holes in the back of the mouth. I havent tried yet. Maybe this would work for others too