The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: Can old dogs learn new tricks?

isthedrin - Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:47 pm

Hello, I graduated from college in 2000 with a 4-yr degree in Eglish/creative writing. Over the past few years I've seriously given some thought to going into medicine. (I'm 27--I know it's a late to make such a drastic change in life--maybe unrealistic even. As an undergrad, medicine was the farthest thing from my mind so I have very few of the required courses needed for med school admission. However, I did have great grades, etc, including in the science and math courses I did take (In college I had only zoology, algebra and stats that would relate to medicine, although in high school I had gen chem, biology, anatomy/physiology, physical science, etc.) My question is--what would be the most practical way to get on a "fast track to medicine" at this stage in my life? I know I need to start by taking chem 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2, biology 1 and 2, and organic chem 1 and 2. But what would be the best way to get these classes--do med schools accept community college or CLEP credits? Or should I take these classes at a 4-year university to be competitive? Also, anyone know of med school programs designed for people who have BAs in something else? Thanks for any info along these lines :)
thaovan - Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:13 pm

I've been thinking of going to medical school too, and I found the following website to be a great starting point for my research:

http://services. aamc. org/postbac/

It allows you to search for postbaccalaureate pre-medical programs in the USA, even allowing you to narrow your search to programs for career-changers, such as yourself.

Good luck!