Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: Can old dogs learn new tricks?

isthedrin - Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:47 pm

Hello, I graduated from college in 2000 with a 4-yr degree in Eglish/creative writing. Over the past few years I've seriously given some thought to going into medicine. (I'm 27--I know it's a late to make such a drastic change in life--maybe unrealistic even. As an undergrad, medicine was the farthest thing from my mind so I have very few of the required courses needed for med school admission. However, I did have great grades, etc, including in the science and math courses I did take (In college I had only zoology, algebra and stats that would relate to medicine, although in high school I had gen chem, biology, anatomy/physiology, physical science, etc.) My question is--what would be the most practical way to get on a "fast track to medicine" at this stage in my life? I know I need to start by taking chem 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2, biology 1 and 2, and organic chem 1 and 2. But what would be the best way to get these classes--do med schools accept community college or CLEP credits? Or should I take these classes at a 4-year university to be competitive? Also, anyone know of med school programs designed for people who have BAs in something else? Thanks for any info along these lines :)
thaovan - Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:13 pm

Hi,

I've been thinking of going to medical school too, and I found the following website to be a great starting point for my research:

http://services. aamc. org/postbac/

It allows you to search for postbaccalaureate pre-medical programs in the USA, even allowing you to narrow your search to programs for career-changers, such as yourself.

Good luck!

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us