The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: question about throat

wolfros - Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:46 pm

I recently went to my allergy doctor and he said I have a medical condition in the back of my throat. The only real detail he gave me was that I basically have tonsil tissue on the back of my throat. He said I'm more susceptible to sore throats and I'm more likely to feel the drainage from my allergies. My question is what is this called and any other information you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:32 pm

Everyone has tonsil tissue in the back of their throats unless it was removed by surgery (tonsillectomy). It seems your doctor is referring to an inflammation of the tonsils (tonsilitis). Some people are more prone to tonsillitis that their tonsils end up so inflammed that instead of protecting against infection (their normal function) they end up becoming a source of infection. Thats when they require removal by surgery.