The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Voice change, facial spasms

cbar31 - Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:32 pm

Hello. I am hoping someone can give me useful information, as I have yet to figure out my problems. For the past 7-8 months, I have been having facial spasms mainly around the eyelids and nose, but often have them around the lip regions. These recur almost daily and seem to be sporadic with no apparent trigger. I have yet to figure this out and have taken precautions such as changing sleep patterns and even supplementing with Magnesium tablets. It is a huge nuisance, as I am a graduate student and spend most of my day reading journals, etc., which can be quite tough when my eyelids are kicked into high gear and twitching. Please help!

Also, I have been having throat problems for about 2 months, which seem to culminate with a buildup of mucus in the throat region. I spend most of my days with chronic voice clearing/Coughing trying to expectorate the mucus, but never with any success. It peaks with a gargling sound in my voice that is extremely frustrating. I have tried allergy medications (allegra, zyrtek) and also medications to treat GERD (Prilosec, currently on Nexium), along with trying the OTC expectorants. These two problems are extremely frustrating and my primary physician has yet been convinced enough to refer me to any specialists. This makes me feel good, as though he feels it is not serious, but I also want to figure out the problems. Any information is appreciated!
cbar31 - Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:06 pm

.k