Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: I would love to loose like 30 lbs but I cant

angie1974 - Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:59 pm

I am 30 years old. I weight 177 lbs. . I don't look like I weight that much because I am very muscular. I work 12 hour rotating shift. I work out 3-4 times a week. I do aerobics, walking, and weight training. I follow a fairly healthy diet. I eat lots of vegetables and fruit. I have had my thyroid checked it is normal. I would love to loose like 30 lbs but I cannt seem to do it no matter how hard I work @ it. Could there be something medically wrong. My blood work every year comes back in normal range with everything. It is very frustrating. Help
Web-Medic - Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:21 pm

I donít know if this will be much help to you but you may find it interesting. We have lean tissues Ė muscle, bone and organs and we have adipose or fat tissue. What you need to do, if you havenít already done this, is figure out your body fat ratio. The easiest way to do this is by taking a skinfold measurement; it is most accurate when done by a trained tester. A good percentage for most women is between 20% - 25%, when you start falling below 15% body fat (women) you can have disorders such as amenorrhea, osteoporosis and other hormonal related problems. As we age, our fat cells get fatter to hold more calorie storage so, to decrease your percent of body fat and shrink those fat cells down you need to cut the calories you consume and increase the calories you burn. Aerobic exercise is the most effective way to decrease body fat, work with a trainer so you can tone without gaining mass (unless you want muscle mass). As always, consult your Health Care Provider before you start any new diet or exercise program.