Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: I would love to loose like 30 lbs but I cant

angie1974 - Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:59 pm

I am 30 years old. I weight 177 lbs. . I don't look like I weight that much because I am very muscular. I work 12 hour rotating shift. I work out 3-4 times a week. I do aerobics, walking, and weight training. I follow a fairly healthy diet. I eat lots of vegetables and fruit. I have had my thyroid checked it is normal. I would love to loose like 30 lbs but I cannt seem to do it no matter how hard I work @ it. Could there be something medically wrong. My blood work every year comes back in normal range with everything. It is very frustrating. Help
Web-Medic - Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:21 pm

Hello,

I donít know if this will be much help to you but you may find it interesting. We have lean tissues Ė muscle, bone and organs and we have adipose or fat tissue. What you need to do, if you havenít already done this, is figure out your body fat ratio. The easiest way to do this is by taking a skinfold measurement; it is most accurate when done by a trained tester. A good percentage for most women is between 20% - 25%, when you start falling below 15% body fat (women) you can have disorders such as amenorrhea, osteoporosis and other hormonal related problems. As we age, our fat cells get fatter to hold more calorie storage so, to decrease your percent of body fat and shrink those fat cells down you need to cut the calories you consume and increase the calories you burn. Aerobic exercise is the most effective way to decrease body fat, work with a trainer so you can tone without gaining mass (unless you want muscle mass). As always, consult your Health Care Provider before you start any new diet or exercise program.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us