Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Sports medicine

Question: I hit the wall with the side of elbow

ashure - Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:28 am

:( I was playing basketball went to save the ball and hit the wall with the side of elbow
I brused instantly and turend red. Then I got A EGG size lump on it. I can still bend it
but its the twisting that hurt. The part that hurts the most is on the back of the arm just above the elbow....What do you think is worng and should I go to the doctor
Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:32 pm

Hi ashure,
Bursitis of the elbow from injury usually reflects a painful lump over the tip of the elbow. Application of ice packs (on 15-20 minutes three or four times daily) elevating the arm above the level of your heart and taking Anti-inflammatory medications usually provide relief. However, I would suggest an evaluation to assure this is the only treatment necessary and no other anomalies are present.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us