The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Ultrasound hearing

mattdman - Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:40 pm

I have a very strange and very unique power, as far as I know I am the only person able to do this. In my left ear I am able tohear ultrasound (sound higher than humans can hear). I can hear dogwhistles and a device in my Grandfathers garden that wards off foxes and cats by ultra sound. I was born with 2 small spotson my left ear that a midwife told my mother were "unusual". I was wondering if anyone had heard of ultrasound hearing in humans. Help appreciated. Matt
Web-Medic - Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:08 am

Hello Mattdman,

Humans usually hear frequencies from around 20 hertz to 20, 000 hertz or vibrations per second. Dog whistles have different ranges, usually around 5000-12000 Hz and the “hum” of fluorescent lighting you might hear is only 50-60 Hz. Sounds we normally can’t hear would be the vibrations from whales, dolphins, elephants, some fish, etc. It would be very interesting for you to get a hearing test, they would test from the lowest frequency upward and you would know your range. You may have a very unique gift.