Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Ultrasound hearing

mattdman - Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:40 pm

I have a very strange and very unique power, as far as I know I am the only person able to do this. In my left ear I am able tohear ultrasound (sound higher than humans can hear). I can hear dogwhistles and a device in my Grandfathers garden that wards off foxes and cats by ultra sound. I was born with 2 small spotson my left ear that a midwife told my mother were "unusual". I was wondering if anyone had heard of ultrasound hearing in humans. Help appreciated. Matt
Web-Medic - Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:08 am

Hello Mattdman,

Humans usually hear frequencies from around 20 hertz to 20, 000 hertz or vibrations per second. Dog whistles have different ranges, usually around 5000-12000 Hz and the “hum” of fluorescent lighting you might hear is only 50-60 Hz. Sounds we normally can’t hear would be the vibrations from whales, dolphins, elephants, some fish, etc. It would be very interesting for you to get a hearing test, they would test from the lowest frequency upward and you would know your range. You may have a very unique gift.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us