Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student


Sherille - Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:03 pm

Im currently a highschool Junior and it`s time for me to start looking into carrers and for a major for college. Im really interested in science and medicine. I been looking into what an immunologist does, but im not to sure of what the college requirements are as far courses I will have to take and post graduate school. If anyone is an immunologist, could you please tell me what exactly it is that you do and how many years of school I will need to attend. also is Michigan State a good college to attend for science ?

Does anyone know what type of Doctor, Dr. House is on that T. V show "HOUSE" on FOx?
Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:55 pm

Dear Sherille,

well, Immunology is the science of The immune system(immunity)...It's very specific...yet very IMPORTANT....The immune system apart from being your body's defensive system, sometimes it goes crazy and causes you a disease I. e. the immune system even plays a role in most of the diseases these days .

It's a very interesting field....helps a lot of people in all aspects. A new trend in Medicine...and what's also new and extremely as important as genetics, especially with the increasing incidence of cancer among people all over the world.

To study either of them , you have to enter Medicine. I think it takes about 6-7 years to finish it...2-3 years premedical and 3-4 years medical, I am not sure how's it like in the States?(will contact a friend of mine and tell you )

you can check out websites of medical schools near you. send them e-mails and they'll reply back and even send ua prospectus of their school and its facilities by post.

There is a nice and simple book for immunology... you can read it, it's easy and actually very funny!!... called " how does the immune system works" by Lauren Sompayrac .

anyway, I hope I've helped, and about Dr. House on the tv show "house"...I'll check it out and tell you :) , never watched it before!

Best wishes,
Sherille - Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:51 pm

thanks alot for your info, you really helped me out. :D Do you think you could ask your friend, what he or she considers to be a good university for my major. I've been considering The University of Michigan, Oklahoma University, or The University of Texas at Austin.
Thanks again.
Neo776 - Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:14 pm

Sherille wrote:

Does anyone know what type of Doctor, Dr.
House is on that T.
V show "HOUSE" on FOx?

I think he's a diagnostician with a double specialty of infectious disease and nephrology.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us