Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Temporary Hearing Loss Thats not really hearing loss

hypochondriac2184 - Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:25 am

Hi, I have a problem with my ears, usually one at one time, that only started when I was pregnant with my last child. It seems to only happen when I get water in my ears from the bathtub (I know, I know, Swimmer's Ear), the thing is, there aren't really any symptoms of swimmer's ear. It basically sounds like I am underwater, I can still hear, but it's muffled. And there really isn't any pain except when I get stupid and plug my nose and blow to try to relieve the pressure, then it hurts really bad and after I stop and let go of my nose, my ear pops repeatedly for about 5 seconds and it hurts really bad. I've been to my PCP and she flushed my ears thinking it was wax buildup and she said she really couldn't see anything visibly wrong and she referred me to an ENT, it was over, it usually only lasts about a week..... Any help?

NikkyLeClair - Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:53 pm

It could be eustation tube dysfuction...although an ENT would be the one to tell you for sure. Eustation tubes are what drain the fluid out of your ears.

Nikky, MA