Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Student Topics

Question: Physician misquoted costs

DrZhivago - Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:53 am

I've been seeing the same doctor for several years now and have been happy for the most part. A couple weeks ago he recommended that I get a CT scan for precationary measures. I do not have insurance and he knows this. I asked him how much it would cost and he said between $500 and $800. He told me he knows it's expensive for me, but recommended I do it. Long story short, I just received the bill for the CT scan/s and it is almost $5, 000 for apparently two cat scans (didn't I realize I needed two), a contrast media, and a seperate bill from a company called Radia.

What should I do about this? I depend on my doctor, not only for medical reasons, but to I depend on him to be looking out for my best interests in all areas and to explain all my options medically and financially.

Any advice is appreciated.
Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:32 am

This is ridiculous!

There must be a procedure for complaints to the parties involved. If you have not complained to your doctor, do so immediately and ask him to assist you in filing a complaint to the parties who billed you.

You have every right to be upset about the misrepresentation of costs and prohibitive bill.
I am assuming of course that you did not receive any other investigations or treatment that you are unaware of.

I hope you are successful with your complaint.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP. VEN FRSM

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us